Historic Properties of Spokane
Constructed in 1923, the Mele House was built during the second phase of single-family construction along East Mission Avenue, between the 200 and 800 block, in what is today identified as the Mission Historic District. The house is an excellent example of the Craftsman style and was constructed for Pasquale (Peter) and Rosina (Rose) Mele, although it was occupied by numerous family members through the years. Peter sold produce as part of the Mele and Son fruit and produce company located in the old Washington Market and later the Central Market, originally located on Main Street. The home remained in the Mele family until 1990. During the property’s period of significance from 1923 to 1990, the Mele House achieved historic significance for its association with the architectural development and settlement of the Logan Neighborhood, specifically along East Mission Avenue, and is additionally architecturally significant as an example of the Craftsman style.
The Mele House is a contributing property in the Mission Avenue Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.