Historic Properties of Spokane
The Mearow Block comprises three buildings: the Bickett Hotel built in 1905, the Richmond Hotel built in 1907 and a smaller one-story brick structure constructed adjacent to and between the rear elevations of the Bickett and Richmond. In 1928 successful Spokane merchant and entrepreneur, Joseph A. Mearow, joined the buildings. The Bickett and Richmond were built as SROs and operated as such for more than 70 years. At the time Mearow owned and operated the Bell Furniture Company, located on the first floor of both buildings from 1925 to 1945. Upon his retirement, Spokane furniture merchant Sylvan Dreifus purchased the Mearow Block where he founded and managed the Sylvan Furniture Company for 58 years until 2003.
The Mearow Block is a contributing property in the East Downtown Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.