Historic Properties of Spokane
The Lindsley-Larsen Estate is one of the few remaining undivided, multi-acre residential estates built in Spokane during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Built in 1914 for Maude and Edward Lindsley, owner of Lindsley Brothers Cedar Products, and was later home to Lewis P. Larsen, one of Spokane's most brilliant mining engineers, and his wife, Bertha, for more than 27 years. The property includes the main house, a carriage house/garage, a chauffeur’s cottage and garage additio, and landscaped grounds and garden features. The grounds are particularly striking and included Rhododendron flower beds, a garden allee with a fountain, a reflecting pool, grassed game court, rock wall and other hardscape features. Designed by Spokane architect C. Harvey Smith and built in 1914, the Lindsley-Larsen Estate is an excellent example of the Colonial Revival style. The home won a city-wide contest held in 1921 and was honored as a "Notable Example of Architecture in Spokane" as reported in The Architect and Engineer.