Historic Properties of Spokane
The Kempis Apartments, one of the first luxury apartments erected in Spokane, was built in 1906 and has been continuously occupied for over 95 years. The Kempis was built to accommodate residents of more affluent means who sought permanent housing located away from the hustle and bustle of the city’s center. The property was designed by Alfed Jones and built by contractor Chris Anderson for Maud L. Kemp, wife of Charles John Kemp, part owner of the Kemp & Hebert Department Store. The apartment’s garage and auto court were designed in 1920 by G.A. Pehrson. In 1995, Michael and Sarah Michalko purchased the property and remodeled the building, garage and auto court for use as luxury apartments that were rented on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. An upscale eatery was also added. Today, the Kempis is reverted back to luxury apartments and is being operated under Kempis LLC.