Historic Properties of Spokane
Built in 1914, the Hutton House is one of Spokane’s finest examples of the Neoclassical architectural style. Designed by noted Spokane architect George W. Keith, the house was built for Levi and May Arkwright Hutton--two of Spokane’s most significant humanitarians and civic benefactors. Their huge financial success from the Hercules Mine, and their unbounded energy and committed passion to social reform greatly impacted Spokane and the surrounding area. An ardent supporter of the women’s suffrage movement, May Arkwright Hutton’s strong words and hard work led to the right of all women to vote in Washington State. Levi Hutton fulfilled his life-long dream by building the Hutton Settlement, one of the country’s best-designed and longest-running orphanages. It remains in operation today.