Historic Properties of Spokane

Back to the listings

Hussey-Borgeson House

Hussey-Borgeson House
Hussey-Borgeson House
2003 W. Riverside Avenue See Map
1887
Loren L. Rand (carriage house)
Brownes Addition
07/30/1976
11/27/2000

Built in 1887 and 1889, the Hussey-Borgeson House and its barn/stable/carriage house are two of the oldest and most intact domestic buildings in Spokane and are excellent examples of the Queen Anne Style. The carriage house and 1889 additions were designed by prominent Spokane architect Loren L. Rand; the architect of the original house is unknown. The house was built for mining and banking entrepreneur Warren Hussey and his wife Libby Shaw Hussey. It was later home to the Claus Borgeson family for over 80 years. The house is a contributing property in the Browne’s Addition National Historic District but is historically and architecturally significant in its own right for its association with the early settlement and development of Spokane and as a superior example of the Queen Anne style of architecture.

The Hussey-Borgeson House is a contributing property in the Browne’s Addition Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places 7/30/1976.

 

Management Agreement

Nomination (PDF)