Historic Properties of Spokane
Home Telephone & Telegraph Company Building
The Home Telephone & Telegraph Company Building was built in 1907 as one the city’s first telephone communication centers. During its period of significance from 1907 to 1955, the property achieved historic significance for its contribution to Spokane as one of the city’s finest historic commercial/industrial buildings and as a leader in the development of the community’s telephone communication industry. The property housed central operations for the Home Telephone & Telegraph Company, which implemented the first automatic dial telephone system in Spokane, the forerunner to contemporary rotary dial telephones. The company installed some of the first independent interstate long-distance service lines to regional customers in Washington, Idaho, Oregon, and Montana, and also developed a phone system that did not solely rely on batteries in personal hand-held telephones. The Home Telephone & Telegraph Company Building was designed by Albert Held, and built by John Huetter, early Spokane pioneers who are regarded as two of the region’s most prominent master craftsmen.
The Home Telephone & Telegraph building is a contributing property in the East Downtown Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places 8/29/2003.