Historic Properties of Spokane
Holy Names Academy
The Holy Names Academy Building is significant in the educational history of Spokane and the Inland Northwest. Chartered in 1891 as a private secondary academy and expanded in 1907, the Academy became one of the state’s first private normal schools. The school offered both a high school curriculum and a teacher training course for young women from throughout the Inland Northwest for many decades. The building, an eclectic collection of nineteenth-century revivalistic architectural styles, is an important example of Victorian institutional architecture and reflects the designs of Spokane architects Patrick Donohoe and the well-known firm of Preusse and Zittel.