Historic Properties of Spokane
Hillyard Water Company Building (demolished)
The small, one-story Hillyard Water Company Building (also called the Morgan Building until 1929) was made of formed concrete blocks and had a cast concrete cornice, smooth concrete quoins and an intact storefront configuration with a recessed entrance and original wood transoms. The building was constructed by the Hillyard Townsite Company for use as an office for the Hillyard Water Company. After 1930, the building housed Cambern Brothers Bakery, the Neighborhood Baker, and the Hillyard Dutch Shops, Bakers & Delicatessen. Cora Squibb’s Black 7 Gold Dress Shop occupied the storefront from 1945 to 1965.
The Hillyard Water Company Building was a contributing property in the Hillyard Historic Business District which was listed on the Spokane Register in 2003 and the National Register in 2002. The Hillyard Water Company Building was demolished in 2010.