Historic Properties of Spokane
Hillyard Laundry Building
The Hillyard Laundry Building is a two-story formed concrete block structure with a plain parapet. A 1950 sign proclaiming "HILLYARD LAUNDRY & DRY CLEANING" is attached to the north facade above the front entrance. The building was originally owned and built in 1906 by Charles Carr, a blacksmith, who also built and owned the next building east, a blacksmith shop. The Hillyard Hand Laundry, owned and managed by Japanese immigrants Y. Tanaka, R. Nakashim, and H. Sato, operated in the building from 1906 to 1950. After 1950, the name of the business changed to Hillyard Laundry and Dry Cleaning.
The Hillyard Laundry Building is a contributing property in the Hillyard Historic Business District which was listed on the Spokane Register in 2003 and the National Register in 2002.