Historic Properties of Spokane
The Hieber House and carriage house, built in 1889, reflect an eclectic mix of influences from the Queen Anne, Swiss Chalet and Shingle architectural styles. The property was originally constructed for flagman and city stableman, John W. Glover, and his wife Maggie. In 1895 the house was sold to Emily and Daniel Henley, a prominent Spokane attorney. The home later gained significance through its long-standing association with noted Spokane brewmaster John G. F. Hieber. Founder of the Union Brewery & Malting Company, the Hieber Brewing & Malting Company and owner of numerous real estate holdings in Spokane, Hieber was praised for his excellent business capacity and enjoyed the good will and esteem of the entire community.
The Hieber House is a contributing property in the Browne’s Addition Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places 7/30/1976.