Historic Properties of Spokane
The Heath House is one of the earliest residential sections to be platted and developed north of the Spokane River. Situated on the north side of the graceful tree-lined Mission Avenue, the home is a simplified square, two-story, wood-frame Queen Anne with a one-and-a-half story back extension. The home was constructed for Sylvester Heath, a man who made significant contributions to early Spokane. Heath is credited for building the Heath Block in 1890 which served as a major contribution to downtown building following the fire of 1889. The Heath Library was also donated to the City of Spokane and represents one of several benevolent efforts.