Historic Properties of Spokane

Back to the listings

Drumheller Springs

Drumheller Springs
Garry's Springs, Lone Pine, Spring Hill
1915 W. Dalton Avenue See Map
Unknown
Northwest
None
N/A
N/A

Drumheller Springs was the site of both prehistoric and historic Indian encampments as well as a school established by Spokane Garry, a tribal leader who proved a skillful diplomat between the Spokane Indians and the early non-Indian settlers in the area. The springs were historically known as Garry’s Springs and Lone Pine Springs; the current name derives from their association with Dan Drumheller, a pioneer stockman who established a slaughter house on the flat immediately below the spring in the late nineteenth century.

The area now known as Drumheller Springs Historical Park was inventoried on April 15, 1970 but is currently not listed on the Spokane or National Register.

Nomination (PDF)