Historic Properties of Spokane
Built in 1891, the Domke-Guse House was one of the first homes erected in Browne's Addition and was sited on West Pacific Avenue, the widest street in the neighborhood and one of the most prominent. The Domke-Guse House was built for William Augusta Domke and his wife, Julia H. Domke, owners and proprietors of the Domke Saloon in downtown Spokane. In 1895, prominent Spokane grocer (Guse Brothers Grocery) Fred Guse and his wife, Mary Guse, bought the property, and lived in the house with their four children for 10 years. The Domke-Guse House is a good example of the Free Classic Queen Anne style and was designed by Loren L. Rand, a leading late 19th and early twentieth-century Spokane architect.
The Domke-Guse House is a contributing property in the Browne’s Addition Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places 7/30/1976.