Historic Properties of Spokane

Back to the listings

Comstock-Shadle House

Comstock-Shadle House
Comstock-Shadle House
1106 W. 9th Avenue See Map
1910
Willis A. Ritchie
Cliff / Cannon
07/21/1994
07/17/2006

The Comstock-Shadle House, built for pioneer merchants James and Elizabeth Comstock, is one of the best preserved historic properties in Spokane. The house is a fantastic representation of the work of Willis Ritchie, a master architect who practiced in Spokane during the late 1890s and into the twentieth century. Perhaps the most historically significant feature of the house is its association with the Comstock and Shadle families, widely recognized as among the most charitable benefactors living in early twentieth-century Spokane.

The Comstock-Shadle House is included as a contributing property in the Ninth Avenue Historic Distric which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. The Comstock-Shadle House, along with three other properties, were included in their own district, the Comstock-Shadle Historic District, which was listed on the Spokane Register of Historic Places in 2006.  The Comstock-Shadle House was also listed independently on the Spokane Register in 2006.

 

Management Agreement

Nomination (PDF)