Historic Properties of Spokane
This house was constructed in 1889 for John W. and Josephine Clarkson Binkley. J. W. Binkley served as a probate judge for Spokane County in 1885 and 1886. He had an active law practice, specializing in commercial and financial law, but came to concentrate more on his banking interests. Binkley was co-founder of the Northwestern and Pacific Mortgage Company, and later the North Pacific Loan and Trust Company, for which he also served as president. Binkley was active in the establishment of the Fort Wright Army Post and he was instrumental in the construction of the Montvale Block in downtown Spokane.