Historic Properties of Spokane
Benewah Milk Bottle
A favorite and familiar landmark in Spokane, the Benewah Milk Bottle Store was designed by the prestigious architectural firm Whitehouse and Price and built in 1935 by contractor W.G. Myers. The Milk Bottle, an example of mimetic literalism in advertising, was one of two of the whimsical retail outlets constructed for Paul E. Newport, a well-known creamery operator and merchant with five other outlet stores in the area in addition to his Benewah plant. The second Benewah Milk Bottle stands on the corner of Garland and Post.