Historic Properties of Spokane
The Alvis House is a fine example of the Arts & Crafts tradition with influences from the Craftsman, Prairie, and Swiss Chalet styles. It was erected as a “spec” house by a group of investors and builders who sold it one year after construction to Harry Alvis, an automobile salesman in Spokane, and his wife, Dorothy. LeRoy & Beta Beeson, owners/proprietors of Beeson Brothers automobile sales/service in Spokane, resided in the house for 13 years, and Marion & Robert Root, a Pacific Mutual Life Insurance agent and agency owner, lived at the property for 58 years. During its period of significance from 1913 to 1956, the Alvis House achieved importance in the areas of architecture and community planning & development. The property is architecturally significant as a fine depiction of the Arts & Crafts tradition and as a product of Spokane architect, Franklin Manz, and is historically significant for its association with trends and patterns which led to the urban development and subsequent settlement of the Cannon Hill Park Addition on Spokane’s South Hill.