Historic Properties of Spokane
Built in 1912, the Gustav & Elizabeth Toevs House is located one block east of Cliff Park, a prominent Olmstead Brothers-designed public park/gathering spot and neighborhood focal point on Spokane’s South Hill. An excellent example of its type, the historic Prairie Style Toevs House well represents a two story, symmetrically designed American Foursquare form with multiple low-pitched pyramidal hipped roofs, deeply overhanging enclosed boxed eaves, a symmetrical façade design, a nearly full-width covered front porch, a center front entrance, massive square porch columns, and a first-floor plan with four interior rooms in each of home’s four corners. The interior of the Toevs House is finished with well-preserved deep and wide “tiger striped” quarter-sawn oak woodwork, fireplace mantel, doors, and built-in furniture burnished to a deep, rich golden brown. A single-story double-car garage with a low-pitched hip roof and deeply overhanging enclosed boxed eaves like the house was built in 1912 behind the house and enlarged to include a second story in 1974. The Toevs House retains a high level of architectural integrity in original location, design, materials, workmanship, and association.